Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Isaac Julien’s new film installation Ten Thousand Waves


British artist Isaac Julien's Ten Thousand Waves is a 9-screen installation shot on location in China which aims to weave together stories linking China’s ancient past and present. The work looks at immigration, diaspora and the journeys that people make across continents. The installation premièred at the Sydney Biennale in May and was then shown at the Shanghai Expo. Now it is here in London at the Hayward Gallery (with still photographs also on show at the Victoria Miro Gallery).

Filmed on location in Guangxi province the film has many interesting collaborators; most exciting of all the mighty Maggie Cheung Man Yuk! The soundtrack is by Londoner Jah Wobble and The Chinese Dub Orchestra (an artist who has become interested in fusing digital Dub Reggae with Chinese sounds and traditional instruments, as heard in his CD Chinese Dub).

I haven't been to check it out yet but am dying to go, I will report back asap. I am a fan of Julien's work and of course I don't need to declare my love for Maggie Cheung again! Watch this space for a review of the installation....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! Wish I could see this. Looking forward to your review.

BTW, I love Jah Wobble, so thanks for the news about his Chinese Dub album. I'm going to download it tonight. :)

You can hear samples of the songs here.